In memoriam for Sheldon Smith

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:13:22 -0500

----------
> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
> To: remoody@easnet.net
> Subject: Re: In memoriam for Sheldon Smith
> Date: Monday, October 11, 1999 8:29 AM
>
> Ok Ric,
>
> How did the case end up?
>
> Jon

Oh....   "we" lost.  But it didn't have much to do with  Sheldon or me.  The judge's
instructions to the jury were, the movers weren't liable unless they violated
"standard procedures of their profession."
No one saw the movers drop the piano, and their lawyer made pretty sure I said that
such damages in the photos could only occur from dropping or structural weakness. I
did raise the possiblity the truck could have hit a bump. But of course there was no
proof as the judge required. Besides, he explained,  if damages did occur in the
ordinary stresses and strains of the move because of pre-existing weakness or
defects, the movers weren't liable.  Their lawyer made me say what the professional
regard was for Betsy Ross spinets. "Not good" I mumbled. I wonder if Sheldon advised
the lawyer to ask that?   ; )
	Why was Sheldon a witness for a moving company?  They were his movers.  Sheldon
must have moved three or four Steinways a year too and from his shop. And of course
being the movers for Sheman Clay, Jackobson moved all of their Steinways, and for
the Symphony etc, etc.  It must have made a good impression on the jury because I
still remember his exact words, "They are the only  movers I  trust with my
instruments".