Finishing question...Doug M.

Nancy McMillan nlm@csu.cted.net
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:07:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Trout <btrout@desupernet.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: Finishing question...Doug M.

Brian asked:
> I know it's an old thread, but I wondered if you might elaborate on this
one
> a little bit.
>
> > A thin layer of drywall compound fills pours too.  Easily sanded smooth
> and
> > takes color great.
> > Doug Mahard
>
>  What kind of procedure would you use to apply the compound?
>
> I was just wondering how the finished product might look.  On my finishing
> projects to date, I've used a black or dark brown wood filler to fill the
> pores, which gives a nice contrast and character to the wood.  If I used
> drywall compound, would it tend to stain lighter or darker than the
> surrounding mahogany?  Or would it be pretty much the same color?  Could I
> add a coloring agent to the drywall compound that wouldn't interfere with
> it's hardening?
>
> I was talking to a buddy of mine that does a lot of refinishing, and he
> asked if I would inquire about it further.  And since it might be of
> interest to others, I decided to post it on the list.
>
> Any input?
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Brian Trout
> Quarryville, PA
> btrout@desupernet.net
Hi Brian,
To apply the compound use a putty knife the appropriate size for surface
being filled. Spread a thin layer of compound with the putty knife. You're
not trying to turn the whole surface white, just filling the pores. Once
this dries, sand with 220 and stain. The compound takes on the exact color
of the stain. I've never tried adding the stain to the moist compound so
you'ld have to experimaent with that.
I've never done a whole piano this way. Just small sections, like when
replacing the veneer on the toes of an old upright, or a stripped table top.
Then I would apply shellac for a finish.
Basically, when I've done this, I'm trying to match an existing color that
is on the rest of the piano or furniture. So when I go to stain the dry wall
compound it takes on that color and so does the new or stripped wood.
By all means I'm not advocating this method over any other method, I'm just
describing what I was taught. It works, I go with it.
Brian, did you get that personal email about pricing I sent you recently?
Take care.
Doug Mahard