Sustain pedal plastic - final result!

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:43:00 -0700

BSimon999@AOL.COM wrote:

> ...I find it amazing that a real company, with real engineers, would spend the
> money to make dies for this high stress part to be made out of plastic. They
> could have just taken that money and bought 50,000 traditional metal pieces.
> I have never seen a metal one fail...

> P.S. - Expect to see foam rubber hammers soon.

I have serviced two pianos over the years that had no name on the
outside but the hammer rest rail was labeled "Kawai". The undersides of
many of the keys were visible above the keyslip and there was a
corresponding surfeit of lost motion on these notes. My investigation
revealed a back rail "cloth" that had the consistency and color of
chocolate cake - apparently the rail was covered with a type of foam
that had chemically changed form.

Why the maker didn't stick with the tried and true God only knows, but
nylon pedal props takes the cake.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT