Sustain pedal plastic - final result!

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:21:17 -0700

Tom Cole wrote:
>I have serviced two pianos over the years that had no name on the
>outside but the hammer rest rail was labeled "Kawai". The undersides of
>many of the keys were visible above the keyslip and there was a
>corresponding surfeit of lost motion on these notes. My investigation
>revealed a back rail "cloth" that had the consistency and color of
>chocolate cake - apparently the rail was covered with a type of foam
>that had chemically changed form.

I've had to replace this crumbly stuff too, both for back rail cloth
and for hammer rail cloth, though, oddly, not both on the same piano.
Mine didn't say "Kawai", at least. Do you suppose it was a not-so-subtle
form of disinformation? <grin>

>Why the maker didn't stick with the tried and true God only knows, but
>nylon pedal props takes the cake.

Cake, huh? Not very tasty, though the right consistency. Do I hear any
votes for peppermint sticks as hammer shanks?

Susan