tensile strength formulas

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:03:49 -0400

Hi Jeff, Hi Diane,

I'm no math whiz by a long shot, but I looked up some figures.

According to my sources:

1 pound = 4.44822 Newtons

1 square inch = 645.16264 square millimeters

1 Newton = 0.22481 pounds

1 square millimeter  = .00155 square inches

 If I use the above figures, I'm thinking that:
                       1newton / sq. mm  = 0.22481 lbs / 0.00155 in.

or reduced further:
                        N/mm2  = 145.03871 lbs / sq. in.

To go the other way:

                        1 lb / sq.in.  =  4.44822 Newtons / 645.16264 sq. mm

or reduced further:
                        lbs / sq. in  =  0.0068947 N / mm2

Help me out math types.  Am I on the right track?  Did I screw it up
completely?

Jeff and Diane, please don't take this on my above guesses and speculations.
I'm trying to provide what limited ideas I have.  I always wanted to take
more math courses, but haven't been able to yet.  I wouldn't want to be the
cause of major catastrophe!!!!

Good luck with your project.  I look forward to any responses, myself.

Have a good day.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net