Input for Intro Tuning Presentation

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:59:02 EDT

 >I would very much appreciate some input in the way of guidelines or
>individual content for this type of presentation.

Hi Joel,
     It seems that there is very little knowledge of the harmonic series, and
the way that intervals are created, let alone tempering.  If you can address
the series in enough depth so that the audience understands what happens when
you temper, you will be well on your way to being able to get them to
understand why the octave must be divided.
    I found that demonstrating the syntonic comma, (via dividing a C-C octave
into thirds, two of which are Just, the last actually a dim4th) is very
effective at making the point that we must temper or lose modulatory freedom.
 I do this by first taking a tempered third, (C-E) and making it Just.
Students can generally hear the differnce more easily if they hear you drop
that E quickly enough to follow it down.  Then compare the C triad with
either the B or the C#, which will still be ET.  This juxtaposition of
tempered and Just often creates a brand-new tonal awareness.
    Once the E is down,  let them hear the E-G#.  It will be rough!, so drop
the G# to a Just 3rd with the E.  Demo the two pure sounding triads and then
hit them with the wolf G#-C.  It never fails to grab the ears.
    After this, you can, with these three thirds, demonstrate their
configuration in Meantone,( which you did with the wolf),  varying shades of
Well temperament, and finally, back to equally dividing them.
    If you really practise, and cut out a lot of supporting info, you may be
able to get this all out in 30 minutes, but if you could beg an hour, you
will get a deeper response.
Good luck, and please let us all know how it goes.
Regards,
Ed Foote