tensile strength formulas

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 08:39:47 -0200

Slugs? Just poking fun at inches.

I encountered a strange, albeit second-hand story about "a very old piano
(150-200 years)" that was restored at the Kimball factory in Indiana maybe 20(?)
years ago. Apparently, the piano was restrung with lower tensile strength wire
_for structural reasons_, with some story about attempting to restring on the
original block with higher strength wire with disastrous consequences. I'd love
to see their Physics textbooks, I think I know some people who took the course
with them!

Diane, are there figures for mass and elasticity along with the tensile strength
for these wires? I think that these are more appropriate for selection criteria.

Clark "If it's not metric, I don't hear it" Panaccione

(ps Megaconverter looks great, but it wouldn't work in my browser)