Ivers and Ponds

BopPiano@AOL.COM BopPiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:43:07 EDT

Dan,    Ivers grands seemed to be built very solid but I haven't found most
that I've worked on to be that good sounding, old soundboards not
withstanding.   I think they  got it right with their upright but something
between the drawing board and the finished product is a bit disappointing
especially in their smaller grands.  Most have a scaling problem at the
bass/tenor brake where they should have had  wound strings in the tenor but
instead went directly to plain wire with very very low tension for 8 - 10
notes.The tonal effect is noticeable and undesirable to me.  I would check
the scaling.  I tuned a Model 95 the other day that (orginally) was scaled
with wound strings (bichords then trichords) in the tenor and the transition
was probably the best I've heard on an Ivers.   I've seen a number of Ivers
grands in these parts with new soundboards and I still haven't seen a quality
in the tone that matches the quality in the construction.
  Gary Ford