Wound Wire breakage in churchs

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:57:53 -0700

At 04:13 PM 10/19/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, when one thing doesn't work, go and do something else to pinpoint
>this problem.  Seven RPT's in the area told me that my playing is not the
>cause for this massive string breakage.  And if it was, I would go out
>and buy a Steinway to relinquish the problem once and for all.  Maybe if
>this technician would quit using wire bought by the bulk and try the
>German made Roulau (sp?) wire, the problem will be solved.
>

>Matthew

Roslau wire ...

Have you been selectively rebreaking the strings already broken?

Do you know the history of the M&H before you started playing it?
You may have inherited wire that was already stressed out and about
to lose it. Did the piano, when you started playing it, already
have replaced strings?

Have you played other pianos and had wire break?

I haven't found that Mason & Hamlin (what size and date?) break
more wire than other pianos, but then I may not have enough
experience with them.

My impression is that most of the wire we buy is pretty good,
but maybe some other list members can expand on that.

Susan