Plastic (old) elbow dilemma

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 00:45:51 -0700

RptBob1@AOL.COM wrote:

> Tom:
> YUou are really asking for trouble when you get the customer now involved in
> this rather delicate job.  YOU are the professional and I doubt if your
> friendly Automobile Garage Professional would have you shlepping around under
> your auto while he fixes something and lets you help.  Let's get serious- and
> be professional in what we do. Kinda reminds me of a photo I once saw of a
> cabin front in rural Alabama.  On the porch were several signs.  The first
> said:Live Bait Sold Here; the second said Tires sold and changed; and the
> third said:Piano Tuning.
> Bob Bergantino, RPT
> An avowed do-it-yourselfer who knows the boundaries.

Bob,

Thank you for your opinion about what is or isn't professional. I beg to
differ.

I don't help my mechanic service my car because insurance companies
prohibit it (and I hate getting greasy). So, it's a poor analogy.
Furthermore, the image you paint of a bait shop with the piano tuning
sign bears absolutely no resemblance to my letting the customer help
with an unskilled task. I remain completely responsible for the job and
see nothing unprofessional about delegating discrete procedures which
are performed under my supervision.

Maybe you can say more about what trouble I'm in for. In 28 years, I've
never experienced any problems when a mechanically inclined customer has
helped. On the contrary, they are the ones who appreciate what I do and
are happy to pay the bill because they see what is involved and how well
it was done.

I respect that you know  _your own_  boundaries which are well-suited to
who you are; I have them as well, suited to my personality and therefore
different. The old saw about the need to do it yourself if you want it
done right is not strictly true, in my book. I only do some things very
well.

Changing elbows on drop lifter wires is not a delicate job, it's a
delegate job :-)

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT