Tied bass string, will it break?

rchayden1@juno.com rchayden1@juno.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:05:25 -0700

>From a tip in the Journal,  always tie strings with a new piece one size
larger than the original.  For some reason they don't break.  This really
works.

I also keep the clipped off tails (from putting on new sets of bass
strings) in my tool kit.  Between them and a micrometer I can size up and
fit a new piece on easily.

Also, jerk the string over the bend, (requires bravery and leather
chaps), but less likely to break.

Also, wind the new piece on a pin in your hand, then pry it back into the
pin in the piano.  Don't disturb that old pin much by multiple turns or
it may not hold after you're done.

I like the old Emersons uprights.  Big tone, well made.

Roger Hayden, RPT