Key End Felt

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:34:06 -0400

Avery,
I swapped the felt as you mention on a Bechstein last summer.
The keys needed to be notched to accept the thickness of felt.

Here's how to determine the placement of the height of the felt:
I saw a printout once which stated that the point of key/underlever
contact lies on a line drawn between the bottom of the balance rail
hole and the damper underlever center pin. . .

First I marked where the front of the keyframe lay on the keybed.
Then measured from that mark to the front of the underlever, then
the length from the underlever front to the center pin. I could judge
the height of the damper center pin pretty well.
So knowing how far from the front of the key frame was the center pin,
the height was easy. A thread from the b/f pin hole(removed key); depress
an adjacent key to the point of damper lift. Mark the side of the key.
That is the lift point, remove the appropriate amount of wood to
allow for the thickness of felt. My job came out great.

Clear ?

Jon Page

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net