I finally did it ...

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:45:45 -0700

Dear List,

I finally did it. I used the two-glue trick to
glue my fingers together. [you can laugh now, I
don't mind.]

You see [she said, trying to seem less like a
moron] I was gluing rubber buttons in on a
Steinway A [note: she was working on a good
piano!] and I had a little bit of the white glue
left on my finger while I was putting the CA
glue onto the rubber button. The button, without
any excess squeeze out, ended up firmly attached
to the case, and my left forefinger was, apparently,
indissolubly wedded to the side of my thumb. (at
least, a divorce would have occasioned a lot of
pain.)

I then discovered that the little tube of jelled
acetone (kept in my kit for that purpose) had gradually
dried up, so nothing was left of it. So, I went to
the car, and in my cleaning kit I have a plastic
bottle of nail polish remover, with the bottle kept
in a ziploc bag. This, after several minutes of effort,
restored independent motion to my finger and thumb, but
I did notice that the bottle, left 3/4 full, now had
only 1/4 left.

So, the drift of my cautionary tale: don't assume you
have acetone with you unless you check it now and then,
or unless your containers are tighter than mine.

Susan

P.S. I now understand how the rubber buttons feel (if
they could feel) being trapped in those holes. My fingers
were _definitely_ more stuck together than they get
when I'm gluing keytops with plain CA.