Tied bass string, will it break?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:04:55 -0500

----------
> From: Graeme Harvey <gharvey@netsource.co.nz>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Tied bass string,  will it break?
> Date: Friday, October 22, 1999 2:27 AM
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I've had mixed success with tied bass strings, some work and others don't.
>In my experience the knot usually gives way on the old wire.

Do you mean the knot slips out?  If it breaks is the old wire breaking?
The old wire did bend to form for the tie, and it pulled up.  It just seems like if
I pull it more it will break.  This piano was designed for 435 not 440.  I should
put those old pianos to 430 and be done with it. Unless kids are in band in school
and need a piano to practice with.

> When altering pitch on any piano I tend to drop the pitch slightly on each
> string before pulling up to ensure the contact is broken where the string
> passes through agraffes etc.

Yes, this is standard practice, should be written in stone.  (cast iron)

> http://www.wapin.com/tools/DougStrong.pdf
> You may need to download a copy of Acrobat's PDF reader.

Have PDF but couldn't get it to open.  on W95  MSInternet Explorer. But I have been
to the Wapin site before with no problem.  Thanks for the reply and link.  ---ric