Downbearing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:32:32 -0600

At 11:04 AM 24/10/99 +1300, you wrote:

> I have been told there are three methods for measuring downbearing.  I know
> that there are various gauges such as the Baldwin rocker type and the Lowell
> etc.  What are the other two?
>
> Brian bholden@wave.co.nz

Hi Brian,
             A 3 legged dial gauge as sold by the supply houses, will read net
bearing,but can be misleading, as it will not detect bridge roll. When using
this type of gauge you will note that the readings are different, when the
centre leg is close to front pins, that it is when it is close to the rear
pins.
The compound gauge actually measures the relative angles of each
segment,speaking length,bridge,and back scale, this will give an accurate
picture of what is going on.
The rocker type can be used in conjunction with a set of feeler gauges, but
will only give a net bearing result.
Hope this helps.
Roger
Roger Jolly