"VJ"

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:12:54 -0400

Not to be argumentative, Jason, but I don't think so. Supporting rationale...

Don Mannino was right in his reply about the lack of smell. The original
formula has gone through various iterations, depending on whose memory
we're recalling. The _particulars_ for the formula were (including the
capitalized adjectives):

PETROLEUM JELLY = Vaseline having become the accepted household name. Any
brand name is okay.

UNSCENTED talc = no added fragrance. This specifically excludes J&J baby
powder. However, many people resort to J&J, fragrance and all, only because
pharmacists are either getting more stupid -or- less cooperative every day,
and when asked, will point to J&J, even though you've just said the word
"unscented" 3 seconds ago.

PURE, ANHYDROUS lanolin. Comes in a jar, really thick, usually must be
special ordered, looks like something you wouldn't want to eat, and costs a
lot considering the small amount required.

Other: I learned the formula from Norm Neblett, who knew Vic Jackson when
Vic was still alive. Making the mixture correctly allowed for varying
bottle sizes of petroleum jelly. I was taught a 'dollop'; i.e, teaspoon,
tablespoon, etc., of lanolin, NOT equal amounts.

So, for the recipe, we effectively have:
ANY size of petroleum jelly, slowly melted to a liquid in a double boiler;
Add a small amount of anhydrous lanolin, and stir until it too is melted;
Slowly add and stir in unscented talc, until the mix will no longer
accommodate any more talc;
(Note: I believe this would qualify as a "super-saturated" solution in
chemistry terms).
Pour off mixture into appropriate container(s), allow to congeal.

Trivia: When originally presented, it was possible to heat the bottle of
petroleum jelly, thereby removing the petroleum jelly clinging to the
sides, and then use the same container to hold MOST of the new mixture.
However, that was when the bottles were made of glass instead of plastic.

I wouldn't belabor this subject so much, except too many good discoveries,
not to mention their creator's names, are becoming clouded by time and lack
of documentation. Consider the following short list.

Action cradle was [LaRoy] Edwards action cradle
Impact hammer(s) was Mehaffey impact hammer
Peniston (various action repair devices) = still recognized for the most part
[Clair] Davis lid prop = still is, but is beginning to fade
[Herman] Kohford lid prop = only a few people even know about this anyway.
... etc.

Feel free to add to the list...

Jim Harvey, RPT