soundboard press

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:06:49 -0500 (CDT)

>I am in the process of building a soundboard press along the lines which
>Claire Davies built and discribed in the Jornal some time ago.  I have been
>completely unable to find a source for southern yellow pine as per his
>suggestion in the Chicago area.  Does anyone know of a source or an
>alternative material.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Andrew Remillard
>Northern Il University
>ANR Piano Service

I'm just finishing mine (needed to upgrade the old methods) and I used
salvaged maple flooring that I bought cheap a couple of years ago. It cost
me in glue-up time what I saved in material costs, but they look to be
pretty indestructible - not to mention HEAVY. At a surplus/salvage yard, I
also found some wonderful new brass valves (1/4" female in - 1/4" male out,
with t-handle) for $.92 each, and 1/4" tubing nipples for $.25 each. The
angle iron, I bought at the same place for $11 for a 20' stick, which I cut
myself to make five press clamps. Air fittings, I bought new. Heck, I had to
have *something* shiny on the things. Give those salvage yards a chance if
(when) you have trouble finding what you want new. You will spend a certain
amount of time standing in front of a pile, or bin, of something, mentally
re-designing the project to fit the available parts, but if you can keep the
employees from helping you to a standstill, there are wonderful options out
there just outside the usual channels. I've gotten so tired of lumber yard
and industrial supply house people looking at me like I'm crazy when I ask
about something, that I've gotten to where I check the salvage yards first.
Hey, if I'm going to have to design the thing in the isle anyway, I prefer
to do it where the selection is best and they will  leave me alone.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

 Ron N