pianotech-digest V1997 #2084

Ruth_Phillips Ruth_Phillips@email.msn.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:02:24 -0400

Dear Richard,
  To add to the comments already made about Dampp-Chaser:
The system is designed to automatically cycle from humidifying to
dehumidifying, and works most efficiently when both sides are present,
even where the need is to go primarily in one direction.  It is able to
cycle the needed side on sooner if the other side is also working.
And in your specific situation, you also need to lower the humidity during
wet times to that which you can achieve in dry times.  For example,
if you can achieve an R.H. of 35-40% during the winter, your
upper end of 55-60% is still a long way off.  You can greatly
increase stability by using both sides.  I agree that the dehumidifying
wattages can be kept lower.
    Dampp-Chaser has a distributor in Norway who would be able
to help you.  You can contact the co. at piano@dampp-chaser.com
to get his name.  He can help you select exactly what grouping of
components, and what layout, will help you the most.
Good luck,  Ruth Phillips>

> [...]
> regulation of any piano until I knew that it was under more normal
humidity
> levels.  The building humidity levels should be corrected and stabilized
for
> at least two weeks.  Then, if some regulation needs to be changed, you
might
> expect it to remain stable, as long as the building does, at least until
the
> next humid season.
>
> Considering what you have said, you still need complete Dampp-Chaser
systems,
> not just humidifiers.  The idea is to regulate the piano's humidity
between
> the narrowest parameters.  55% is too high even if it is not extreme.  If
> your building's humidity sometimes falls into the 20% range, the fact that
> the piano was once in 55% humidity makes that even worse.  If you said
that
> the rooms never went above 45%, I would agree that you might not need
> dehumidifiers.
>
> Considering what you said, you may only need 25 watt dehumidifiers, not
the
> most powerful 50 watt type.  I still think that you cannot do too much.
> Control the building and install direct, in-piano humidity control in
> addition.  You may have to get 220 volt adapters for the systems since
they
> are designed to work on the good old American 110 volt power source.
>
> You may be able to order custom syestems from the company that have heavy
> duty cords and are designed for European power sources.  You will still
need
> cord runners in any place where the cord stretches across an area where
> people walk.  I also strongly recommend that you find a way to prevent the
> cord from being unplugged.  Dampp-chaser may even be able to find the
right
> product for that purpose or even design and manufacture one itself.
>
> I cannot emphasize enough that doing anything half way will result in a
> virtually useless attempt at controlling humidity.  You need full systems,
> and you must see that they are always functioning and kept watered.
> Otherwise your attempt at a remedy will be virtually the same as the
> maintenance people's neglect of the humidity controls.  If your $400
humidity
> control system is unplugged or it runs dry, it will be no more effective
than
> if you had done nothing at all.
>
> Indeed, the difficulty of *assuring* that a humidity control system in a
> public place will always have power and be properly serviced is an
important
> factor in the decision of whether or not to even purchase and install one.
> If I were in your shoes, I would not entertain the idea of installing
> Dampp-Chaser systems *unless* you are sure that they will be used.
Otherwise
> you will end up having made the recommendation to buy more costly
equipment
> that never had any positive effect.  You will also add to the list of
people
> who don't believe that Dampp-Chaser products are effective at all.
>
> I visited a University campus in another state recently which is the
victim
> of the very scenario I have talked about.  The faculty all believed that
> "Those Dampp-Chaser things don't do any good".  Of course, every one of
them
> was unplugged, dried up and useless.  Many had been poorly installed, just
> bunch of junk dangling under the piano.  Many had the cords damaged.
>
> The administration should understand that you will be initially spending
time
> and money purchasing and installing equipment to stabilize the pianos.
The