stats

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:38:16 -0500

>I had a lady just call me and she moved here from San Diego , last tuning
>about 2 years ago in that area she said it was $45.

True (I've heard this about California).  I had a potential client call me
in 1996 and balk at my $60 to $75 tunings here in Austin claiming that San
Francisco only charged $35 to $50 for tuning.  I explained that I was about
$10 less than the prevailing local rate.  Ironically, when I mentioned that
other stores may know someone (an apprentice perhaps ) that may work for
that $35 to $50 rate here, the client "BLEW-UP" and yelled, "I'm a Medical
Doctor.  I can 'afford' anyone I want.  If I want the best I pay for the
best!"

I thought about it for a second and said, "You're right.  If you want 'me',
my rate just went up $10."  I now charge $70 to $100  (base tuning vs pitch
raise plus tuning).

He hung up on me in a huff.  But, I'm really glad that I didn't compremise
myself to him.  I'm even more glad that I now charge the prevailing rate
here in Austin, TX.

Cheers,
Brian Henselman, RPT