Glosario pianistico

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:43:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/99 6:18:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
roberto_rovira@ciudad.com.ar (Roberto Rovira)
 writes:

<< Hi all,
 I prefer to use the word aftertouch even in spanish.There are some words you
 can not translate . I prefer that to "distancia recorrida por la tecla luego
 de haberse producido el escape". I also like to use:"capstan" and "voicing"

 Roberto Rovira
 Buenos Aires >>

It's the age old dilemma.  In both France and Quebec but especially in Quebec
where the English language has been slowly eating away at and consuming the
French, every effort has been made to find French language equivilants for
popular American words and phrases.  The government has come up with things
that the people think are ridiculous such as "chien chaud" for "hot dog" and
"hambourgeoise au frommage" for "cheeseburger" but virtually no one uses
those words.

Most technicians in Quebec and Mexico have learned everything they know about
piano technology from books that come from the United States and also PTG
publications that have been written by Americans.  I have heard such phrases
as "J'ai rébushé les flanges"  and "Il y a trop d'aftertouche".  Both the
words "flange" and "wippen" have been difficult to translate.  (Recently, it
came to light that the word "wippen" is  German verb meaning "to rock".
Therefore, "la berceuse" seems to be a good word in French.  Also, the word
is most properly spelled without the "h" in English).

I have heard Mexicans toss in English words too.  "El backcheck" and "el
flanche" (flange) and yes, of course, "el aftertouch" and also "el
aftertoque" are common examples.  The Japanese also use many English words
without translating them too.  So if no good Spanish and French words are
found for certain terms coined in the good old USA, it won't be the end of
the world.

I would like to see this glossary printed in the Journal once it is deemed
complete.  Even though the Journal is an English language publication, there
are many who read it who live in Spanish speaking areas and who communicate
with Spanish speaking customers.  Also, PTG's territory includes Puerto Rico
and Mexico.  While there is still no chapter in Mexico, PTG members have been
going there for many years.  There have been seminars much like those in the
US.  Danny Boone was instrumental in this.  The very first thing they did at
those seminars I attended was to have a Nomenclature session.  There were
often multiple terms that people used, including American English ones.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin