Glues/Key Buttons

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:33:59 -0700

>>>So Susan is saying that you mix yellow carpenters glue with super glue for
>>>special uses? um ... why?
>>
>>Susan is saying that you mix yellow or white glue (Elmer's works fine) with
>>CA glue, for speed of setup and firmness of grip, to avoid awkward clamping
>>situations, and to overcome CA glue's habit of sometimes not setting up or
>>failing when fit isn't perfect.
>>

>List, I did a set of key buttons today using the CA/Titebond method, and it
>worked great. On my simple glue-it-on-straight jig, using the glue mixture,
>I would glue on the end button of a rack'o'buttons, hold it for 20 seconds,
>and it would stay. Spring clamp temporarily. There are nine rack'o'buttons
>in a set, so nine keys later, all were ready to finish trim on the bandsaw.
>Repeat. This was my first time doing it this way and it broke the job up
>nicely into manageably mundane segments. I haven't done too many sets of
>buttons, and I was never happy with how slowly the job would go and how I
>would rush the glue. I feel better now. Thanks again, Susan.
>
>Ken Jankura
>Newburg, PA

My (_extreme_) pleasure, Ken. Yours is another new application,
which I haven't tried before.

Of course, if the bond should fail, do let me know! But so far, I haven't
heard of any that went bad later. This is sort of new for most people,
though, so we haven't had time to evaluate durability. I've used it for
about seven years now, in a variety of situations.

Susan