Old Steinway upright - new yamaha dampers?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:57:53 -0600

At 07:29 PM 26/10/99 -0400, you wrote:

>   Has anyone ever retrofitted old Steinway upright dampers with the Yamaha
> U-1 or U-3 damper head assemblies available through Schaff? I have a job
> coming up where I'll be installing new Tokiwa damper-levers and I'm
wondering
> if it would make sense to go with the Yamaha blocks to save on wire bending,
> get better damping, or both. Do the Yamaha-style overdampers work on the
> Steinway (model "K")? I also understand that these are supplied *without*
the
> dowel damper blocks, and that the ones available through Schaff are
> problematic. Anyone had any experiences?
>
> - Mark

Hi Mark,
             Use the U3 damper set as that will give you the nice triple wedge
dampers, and cut the over ring to almost nothing
The damper blocks I run through the band saw with a  fence so that you will
end
up with a  basic damper shoe about 1/16" thick. Glue a felt square to the shoe
to act as a hinge, use the the dowel type damper fittings to glue to the
felt.
I use a generous dollop of white glue, it seems to stay nice an elastic, and
does not wick into the felt as much as some other glues.
One tip, make sure that the top of the damper head is tipped very slightly
forward to prevent the bottom of the damper from dragging on the string on
lift.
I have used the over dampers for the first 3 notes of the tenor and it takes
quite a bit of adjustment to get them just right, also used tri damper felt
with satisfactory results but not quite as good.
Go for it you will probably love the results, remember to braid the back scale
area of the bass and tenor.
Hope this helps.
Roger

Roger Jolly