Glosario pianistico

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:52:32 -0700

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

Recently, it
> came to light that the word "wippen" is  German verb meaning "to rock".
> Therefore, "la berceuse" seems to be a good word in French.  Also, the word
> is most properly spelled without the "h" in English).

Interesting.  Do you know if "Wippen" is the word used for the same part
in German?  Do we have some German (Swiss, Austrian) technician who can
inform us on this?  The Osford English Dictionary does not yet treat it
as an English word although it has been in use for at least 150 years.

> I would like to see this glossary printed in the Journal once it is deemed
> complete.  Even though the Journal is an English language publication, there
> are many who read it who live in Spanish speaking areas and who communicate
> with Spanish speaking customers.  Also, PTG's territory includes Puerto Rico
> and Mexico.  While there is still no chapter in Mexico, PTG members have been
> going there for many years.  There have been seminars much like those in the
> US.  Danny Boone was instrumental in this.  The very first thing they did at
> those seminars I attended was to have a Nomenclature session.  There were
> often multiple terms that people used, including American English ones.
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin

Bill,

As you know, I'm compiling this for my own reasons, but will be happy to
offer it to the journal.  My work will be done in a week or two, but I
can wait for as long as anyone as additions or comments.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA