Old Steinway upright - new yamaha dampers?

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:58:31 EDT

Yes, they can work nicely.  I have used Yamaha dampers on many Steinways.  If
it is a grand I leave off the red under felt and just make it look like
Steinway dampers.  But the damping is much nicer. =)  You should have no
problem with them and the overdampers are glorious.

Enjoy,'

Ed Tomlinson

<< Has anyone ever retrofitted old Steinway upright dampers with the Yamaha
U-1 or U-3 damper head assemblies available through Schaff? I have a job
coming up where I'll be installing new Tokiwa damper-levers and I'm wondering
if it would make sense to go with the Yamaha blocks to save on wire bending,
get better damping, or both. Do the Yamaha-style overdampers work on the
Steinway (model "K")? I also understand that these are supplied *without* the
dowel damper blocks, and that the ones available through Schaff are
problematic. Anyone had any experiences?

 - Mark >>