tuning forks

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:19:08 -0700

>> I received an A=440 fork from a supply house we all know and love..and
>> it's a fine instrument.
>>
>> It registers on the SATll at 440 and 1 cent.
>>
>> I do not intend to pull hairs here..rather..I would like to know
>> if..during the Tuning Exam, there is a deduction for this? If I set A4 to
>> this fork and nail it, the SAT will read that A4 is 1c above 440.

Tuning forks are temperature sensitive. To guarantee the same pitch every
time, Sheldon Smith taught me to tuck the tuning fork between my belt and my
belly (inside my pants) while prepping the piano with the muting felt. On a
cold day, this can help wake you up! Dunno if this will be relevant to your
tuning fork, but I thought I'd pass it along.