Pin Block

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 05:46:52 -0500

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>                    41 ply pin blocks are not only critical for drill size
> but the rate of feed, and bit cooling is very important. I have tried all
> of the common block material, and will only use Boldoc from now on. 0.010"
> undersize and the pins feel wonderful, with very few jumpy pins.

The trick is to have a constant air flow onto the bit to keep it cool.  You need
to rig up your air hose, (from an air compressor), onto the drill press and aim
a steady moderate stream right onto the bit.  Not only does this keep the bit
from over heating, but it also blows away the chips as you are drilling.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV