Tuning forks

Terry L Jack tjack@pacinfo.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:15:13 -0700

Jeff,

you wrote:
> Terry, if you get a reading on the SAT at -3.6, that tells me that for a
> 30.6 degree increase in temp, assuming your body temp is normal, the fork
> goes flat by (only) 3.6 cents, assuming that the fork is "guaranteed
> accurate at 20C/68F" in the first place.  Now if you're tuning in a room
at
> 72 degrees, your fork ought to be very accurate if you acclimate the fork
> to room temp, right?

I got my room temperature to 69 degrees F. I now get a reading on my A4 fork
of -0.4.  I am sure that at my present skill level it this immaterial. I
will just try to keep the fork at room temp.  Most of the time now I will be
using my SAT III to determine the FAC and set my temperament anyway.  Unison
will be done aurally.

Like I mentioned before I do not want to become dependent on the SAT, but
use it to enhance my efforts.

Appreciate all of the information from you and others.  I am always
concerned, being a new Guild member I am bringing up things that have been
discussed to death before.  *S*  Thanks for everyone's patience.

Terry Jack
Eugene, Oregon Chapter