A440 and the tuning exam (was A440=Fork)

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:34:24 -0700 (MST)

HI Terry:

Again, I have two or three things to suggest. In your first paragraph
below you said 1 cent off would give you a 90% score. Wrong. You would
get 100%. It is only after the tolerance of 1 cent that the score goes
down for each .1 cent additional error. That's the good news.

Now for the bad news. As I wrote recently in this thread, when a certain
individual tried to outguess the effect of temperature change on his fork,
it caused him to fail the pitch exam. You need to know that the pitch is
right at the  exam piano. The only way I know is to have fork previously
tuned at face temperature and keep it that way. I'm not suggesting that
you keep the fork under your armpit during the entire tuning however. The
pitch cannot change much in the few seconds it takes to remove it from the
armpit to do the brief comparison with the F2. You could also, once the
A49 is in the ball park, tune a 5th down from A49 to use as a slow beating
reference while holding the fork in either hand as you make the fine
manipulations of the tuning pin. This would keep your fork stabilized and
ready for immediate checks. After you are satisfied that the A49 key has
been socked heavily and the pitch doesn't change, you can put the fork
under your belt or some convenient place against the body. Whenever you
want to refer to the fork again, just place it against your face to be
assured that its temperature is still in the ballpark, then do your test.

During this current series on forks, I haven't mentioned that you can also
use slow beating intervals for checks with the fork. D3 is a very helpful
note to use with the fork (just be sure that the D3 is on the wide side
to start with).

Jim Coleman, Sr.