damp chaser

Nancy McMillan nlm@csu.cted.net
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:57:58 -0700

Leslie wrote:

> Do any of you have experience with Damp Chasers in choral rehearsal rooms
> that are terribly small, without particularly good ventilation?   I was
> visiting a small local college to attend a Chorale rehearsal, and noted
> the Steinway D was in horrible shape, with strings very rusted, and
> tuning a mess.
>
> My guess is that radical shifts in humidity on a daily basis may account
> for a fair amount of this.   I'd like to hear if experienced folks think
> that Damp Chaser might be the solution to the trouble, and if, perhaps,
> more than the average number of heating rods might be necessary because
> of the very quickly changing conditions.

Hi Leslie,
The other previous replies are excellent .  You may want to consider an
Edwards String Cover also.  Great product,  and good for keeping your
strings and everything else looking nice and new.  I have one in a Yamaha C7
that I rent and I'm amazed at how well the cover keeps the strings from
tarnishing and it seems to help keep the tuning stable too.  I attached
velcro to one side of it and the piano so when the piano is being stored in
the road case the string cover is still in place.

My wife and I will be getting our first grand piano in Dec. and I plan on
installing both a Dampp Chaser and Edwards String Cover.
Good luck .
Doug Mahard
Associate member PTG