Aural and ETD

Carman Gentile cgpiano@webtv.net
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 00:29:51 -0700 (PDT)

  I, for one, think that tuning aurally or with an ETD are NOT mutually
exclusive.  Even though I use a SAT 3, I tell my customers that "my ears
have the last word."

  By that I mean that I check the intervals as I tune using some of the
same aural checks which enabled me pass the PTG exam.

  One of the main benefits of an ETD which has not been mentioned is the
ability to -quickly- ascertain the stability of the tuned note.  If the
note drifts the slightest amount, the ETD will catch it before my ears
will.  Once I have that note nailed, I aurally check the intervals and
move on.

  I never use the term "machine tuning".  When a client askes if I use
"one of those machines", I say that I always use my ears, and although
the "machine" speeds the process, my ears make the final judgement.

  New subject: I am a graduate of the Randy Potter course for those who
asked.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter