Tuning forks (and ETD's)

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:26:14 -0500

>>I've seen some technicians really benifit from a SAT, especially when
older

oops, that's "benefit".

>>age compremises his or her upper frequency hearing.  I've  also
believed...

oops, again.  That's "compromise".

Looks, like I would "benefit" most from an e-mail program with an integrated
spell-checker, so that I don't "compromise" my credibility any more than is
necessary.  An electronic device may be helpful here afterall.  But if I let
it change the spelling for me, have I really learned how to spell?  Or have
I just become too complacent to get off of my bottom, and look it up?  Spell
checkers are much more "accurate" than humans will ever be, but should we
allow them to do most if not all of our writing?  Wouldn't this surely limit
the personality of such correspondence?

Perhaps, I should "learn" how to spell first.

Kinda reminds me of ETDs...

Cheers,
Brian Henselman, RPT

p.s.  It's not the machines that I object to.  My objection is to each
human's tendency to follow the path of least resistance.  Just because
something is easier, or more accurate, doesn't insure that it's still
better.  If this were true, then we will have have become nothing more than
the servants to the machine, be it a spell checker, or an ETD.

This thought doesn't appeal to me.