Tuning Forks... Terry

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:20:07 -0400

Hi Terry,

I hope you'll forgive me for sticking my nose in here, but I have a thought
or two.

If there's anyone who's close by who has an SAT or RCT, it might be
worthwhile to get together with them and explore just where your tuning fork
is, perhaps give it a tuning, and then tune A 440 on a piano with your fork,
seeing how it goes, and comparing it with the machine.  It wouldn't take
long to do, and it might be a good chance to interact with another
technician.  I don't know about you, but I really enjoy interacting with
other technicians.  I don't own an SAT or RCT, but I do have a well
calibrated Tunelab that I'd be willing to explore with any of my fellow
technicians.

Don't be shy about asking for help from others in your guild chapter.  Many
of them will remember very well what it's like to wonder about the very same
things you do.  It would likely be interesting for both of you.  Then a few
years from now, when there's a newbie coming to the meetings who needs some
help, perhaps you can pass along the same gifts of knowledge, help,
friendship and encouragement that you will receive.

Whether or not you do purchase an SAT, do develop your relationships with
other professionals in your area.  I've tried to do it both ways, isolating
myself from other professionals, and interacting with other technicians.  I
much prefer the later.  I'm only sorry I wasted 15 years finding that out.

Just my $0.02

Good luck with your pursuits.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA