A= 440 Fork - advice please

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 23:22:31 -0500

----------
> From: Terry L Jack <tjack@pacinfo.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: A= 440 Fork - advice please
> Date: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 3:17 PM
> I have been having trouble proving my A-49 with a 17th test so have
been
> using my SAT III.  I want to be good at aural tuning  and do not want
to get
> to where I can only tune with a machine.
>
> Terry Jack
> Eugene, Oregon Chapter

I don't know about the 17the test.  I would venture to guess that is
betting too far into the lower tenor or upper bass which might add an
unwanted element of inharmonicity.   I would think the tenth sufficient.
Or just the sixth, if C4 and A4 beat the same as C4 and the fork, you are
pretty close.

	The best way  so far I have found to test your results of achieving A440
with a fork, is to tune one string to the fork, mute it,  then tune the
second string.  Now sound the two together.  If you have a good unison
there is always a third string to prove if you were lucky or not. Also
make sure the string is pure.  Many times when hearing a beat in a unison
with a fork or other string the beat has turned out to be a "false
string".  There are three strings at A440,  choose the best one.

	Of course the reality is, when do you ever tune A4 to the fork?  However
much you raise a piano you have to go over 440 to hope for 440 after the
first pass.  It is not usual to reset the entire piano only one cycle per
second or two in most other cases.  If it is important to get it closer
than 1 cps, check your  pitch source with theirs