Tuning forks

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:22:01 +0100

Gentlemen and esteemed Ladies

Before this thread gets out of hand, let me make myself perfectly clear
<grin>

I do not believe that the present requirement for accuracy in the pitch
source
with regards to the present tuning test as I understand it, is prudent
or wise. I
do believe that pitch source accuracy is a valid concern and of
importance.

The point is that testing someone for their ability to tune aurally has
nothing
to do with the requirement of "pitch source accuracy". This issue would
be better
addressed in the technical part of the exam, as it is more a technical
matter in
the first place. When testing for aural tuning ability, we are asking
the tuner
to demonstrate their ability to tune a piano irregardless of pitch. And
this is
how it should be. We are all asked to tune at various pitches all the
time.

The possibility that an examinee could fail the exam at its outset
because the
pitch source is out of tolerance has been raised, and at least one
incident of
this being the case has been claimed. Really folks... this is an absurd
situation. It simply requires too much effort and resources to put
together such
exams for this to be a possibility, and if this is the case the PTG
would be best
served to eliminate it as such.

The pitch source issue can be re-settled as part of the technical exam
where it
can be delt with by one RPT. It does not even require the presence of a
piano for
criminy sakes. In fact the whole issue is so trivial (as a practical
matter) that
it amazes me that this hasnt been done already.

It is self saying that pitch source accuracy is an important issue, and
I do not
question its importance. But each thing to its own time and its own
place. The
inclusion of this requirement in the tuning segment of the examination
process is
in my opinion malplaced and the matter should be taken under review by
the
appropriate commitee.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.