Plastic elbows (conclusion)

Jlovekeys@AOL.COM Jlovekeys@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:15:13 EST

Dear List,
    I had the appointment Friday and replaced 5 elbows with the newer clear
elbows. The piano was a Gulbransen spinet and thankfully plastic was only
used on the elbows and nowhere else in the action. I demonstrated to the
client the fragility of the elbows by crushing one with a pair of pliers.  As
it turned out, an excitable relative had broken the elbows by playing very
forcefully.  I tuned the piano gently and having forewarned the client about
further breakage, was on my way.   She seemed happy that a few could be
replaced at a time to minimize the expense of replacing all at once. I did
use the vice grip technique to ensure minimum adjustment of lost motion.
Maybe I'll have to replace a few more next year or so, but that's part of the
business, I suppose.  All in all, the experience was much less painful than I
feared. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.
Jim Love
PTG Associate
Midland, Tx.