straightedges, shameless plug

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:59:37 -0500

At 07:49 AM 10/31/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>K Anderson wrote:
>
>> I 've been finding new (to me) ways to use straightedges lately.  I knew
>> about using them in key leveling, of course, and traveling hammers and
>> setting hammerline. Oh, yes, anytime checking for warpage, as with
>> keyslips. (Maybe there were more but they don't come readily to mind just
>> now)  Recently I found a straightedge handy to see if the bridgetop was
>> really ready for the new capping material, and to see if the new cap was
>> as good as I hoped...then to see if  my new bridgepins were filing down
>> to an acceptably consistent height.  Then when stringing I used a 6-inch
>> steel ruler to doublecheck height & level of the front string length
>> (before the pressure bar). Next, I got out my nice straight 24-inch ruler
>> to see if the warped lid of the bench being rebuilt is getting any more
>> level with all that sanding, before applying new veneer...  Now I'm
>> thinking of using it on the battered sides of the next piano in line, to
>> doublecheck for a nice level surface after sanding & before refinishing.
>> What other uses do you find for straightedges?
>
>The straightest straightedge is not a straightedge but rather a
>non-straightedge that is made to be straight.  The non-straight
>straightedge in which I am referring is when you use a string for a
>straightedge.  When this type of non-straightedge is pulled straight it
>becomes the straightest straightedge of them all!  You can use this type of
>straightedge for straightening all kinds of non-straight things simply by
>pulling it tight so that it becomes straight.  Examples for this kind of
>straightening include hanging hammers straight, checking for non-straight
>soundboards, (i.e. crown), by holing the straightened non-straightedge across
>the
>back of a soundboard, checking the straightness of a keyboard by
>straightening your straightedge across the keys, and many other straightening
>jobs.  I hope you have it straight now when I tell you that there is more
>than one type of straightedge.  Now you go straight away and try this.  Soon
>there won't be a non-straight thing around!!
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV

String !!!!- And when drawn between two vertical posts which are attached to
the action brackets as described in a recent Journal article by Ernie Juhn
are a rather ingenious devise, if I say so myself.  However a different
version;
and proven in the field is the available through Pianotech "TautLine
Regulation
Guide" (part  # TRLG).   Don't leave home without it.

Just an addition to this thread,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net