damp chaser

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:20:47 PDT

Les,
  Best way to find out whether you need to install a Damppchaser system is
to measure humidity at varying intervals.  You may well need a complete
system depending on what you find.  Damppchaser sells an excellent guage.
  Our whole county is quite damp and I have seen remarkable results in terms
of tuning stability from installing systems in churches and homes.  One
place I tune is a large Christian conference center.  the summer before they
bought their concert grand, they rented a Yamaha C7, just like the one they
already owned, and the two pianos sat on stage next to each other all
summer.  Theirs had a complete grand system plus two extra rods in it, the
rented piano had nothing.  Every week when I tuned for the concert, I
recorded the pitch level on the two pianos and watched the pitch on the
piano without the system fluctuate wildly while the piano with the
Damppchaser was almost always on pitch when I arrived to tune.
   The biggest problem in such places is getting the people who use the
facility to keep it plugged in :-(
   Diane