hidden damage question

Tunethepno@AOL.COM Tunethepno@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 02:05:53 EDT

List,
    A church, for which I tune, had some night visitors last Friday. Instead
of just stealing the sound system, which they did, they decided to vent
something deep inside. They ripped all the keys out of the organ and dumped
it over. Then they went to the piano, a middle aged 5' Knabe grand, and
reached inside and twisted the dampers into a mess. Feeling that they were
not doing justice to the piano, they dumped it over upside down. Aside from
the case damage and the dampers, it didn't appear too bad. The tuning was
about normal for the six months that have passed since the last one, the
action seemed to be functioning normally, the frame wasn't cracked, and I
couldn't find anything loose are damaged with the soundboard.
    I was wondering if the impact of landing upside down might cause some
damage that would show up later on. Would the strings be weakened at the
pressure points?  Would the pinblock be loosened from the frame? Might the
soundboard develop some type of stress damage?  Just wondering. Has anybody
had experience with this kind of thing?
    Thanks,
        John Stroup