Werkmeister #3

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:59:40 -0500

Thank you Mike, and welcome to the list.
	Re, your two references, Klop and Jorgensen, do you have the publisher and date?
Klop rings a very faint bell, and is the title by Jorgensen a seperate book?

In New Groves, the article, "Well Tempered Clavier"  some diagrams are given, one of
which is Werckmeister, "Principal organ temperament (theoretical model, in practice,
C G D A might be left as in 1/4-comma mean-tone temperament, tempered 4 cents
instead of 6 cents)"     B--F3 is the other fifth tempered the same. The rest are
pure.

No big deal about the cents figures, there are two ways to figure it, and then the
pattern of fifths is not known. ie  Is F taken from C or A#   Do they go all the way
to A# ?   If it is Pythagorean it seems they would. The F's are different depending
on which way you go.    Or perhaps they start at F and do a Py. cycle to A#.   The
reason for skipping two fifths and then tempering B--F# is another interesting
question.

Well one way to get to the bottom of it is to read Werckmeister himself. Listed in
the bibliography of the article Werckmeister is, _Orgel-Probe, oder Kurtz
Beschreibung....._
in English translation 1976, by G Krapf.   (I suppose he translated everything but
the title)

Another is, _Musicalisch Temperatur...._ 1691.    No translation given.

Here is the complete title..."Musicalische Temperatur,oder Deutlicher und warer
mathematischer Unterricht, wie man durch Anweisung des Monochordi ein Clavier,
sonderlich die Orgel-Wercke, Positive, Regale, Spinetten, und dergleichen wol
temperirt stimmen konne"

Translation anyone? Danke---ric