EBVT question

Evoniuk, Gary E gee19685@glaxowellcome.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:12:04 -0400

earlier this week Billbrpt@aol.com wrote the following with regard to EBVT:

"there is an important "canceling out" effect that it can and does have
in the historically documented Well-Tempered and Meantone Tunings.
This effect is not at all imagined.  It is as real as the present day
technology you may have heard or read about in industrial situations where
"Noise Cancellation Systems" have been developed.  A noise that is
irritating
to the ear is canceled out by producing an equal and opposite noise that
effectively eliminates the perception of the sound to the ear."

This makes a good deal of sense to me, at least on paper, and I would love
to hear this put into practice.  I do have one (hopefully not naive)
question.  It seems to me that such noise cancellation effects, if they were
to apply across notes (rather than within unisons) would be highly dependent
on phasing, particularly in the range of beat rates that are most noticeable
to my ears (around 1-10Hz).  So my question is, if cancellation effects are
applicable in this situation, do they apply equally in situations where the
different notes are struck simultaneously vs. an arpeggiated chord?  Or
reworded, how cancellation effects not be highly dependent on the
relationship between (1) the time interval between the playing of two notes
(determines phasing) and (2) the beat rate which is being cancelled
(especially at slower beat rates)?

Gary Evoniuk
Durham, NC