Brambach

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:29:43 -0500

Thanks to all for your input on the subject of Brambachs. The piano in
question was a 1906 "B" (4 foot 8 inches), with a seriously delaminating
pinblock. While there was enough pin torque to have attempted a tuning (in
summer's high humidity), the customer was only interested in an appraisal
(for sale/disposal). Many notes were quite out of tune, with the left
strings (those whose pins were nearest the poor fit between the pinblock
and plate flange) many cents flat of the other two. The top third section
of hammers had been replaced, leaving the remainder very deeply grooved.
Keyframe felt and key bushings were in poor condition.
In other words, the sort of piano a shyster might simply tune and then sell
for 2 or 3 grand to the first gullible victim they find. Or one could
install a new pinblock, install a set of hammers, and find oneself knee
deep in a non profit venture, with not a customer in sight.

I told my customer a fair wholesale price would be $500 but am finding that
free removal is the best offer I've found for her so far.

BTW what is the correct terminology for the action parts? The "pear shaped"
knuckles are more rectangular than pear. I've seen at least 3 variants in
20th C pianos. The wippen has no repitition window; the jack sets in front
of the repitition. Proper name?

Thanks,

Patrick