Two action questions

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:02:14 +0200

Thanks ever so much for all the good insight and input. You guys are great.
Special thanks to Newton Hunt who wrote a couple horendously informative
posts. (I assume and hope those two got saved and stored on many a hard
disk). How lucky we are to have folks willing to take the time to write
such good advice out.

1. As it turns out, on the "P" piano there are a couple geometry questions
I got to sort out. At some time in the past a new set of Able hammers were
mounted. So I am getting the factory specs on lengths to compare. Newtons
trick here is new to me, so I am going to have a go at that one to see how
it adds up with any differences I get from factory specs vs now installed
Ables (by the way.. Ables sound pretty nice on a P piano). As this is one
of the practice grands at the University I will have plenty time to
experiment a bit. I also took the time today to measure down and upweight
on about a quarter of the keys. Looks like I am in for some work... grin..
as the difference between the two was kinda a lot... Down 75 grams (heavy)
up between 18 and 24.

2.  The bouncing yamaha hammers...I rechecked and re-rechecked the bedding,
even got my associate and mentor to look at the bedding. No problem there.
Checked it with keys removed and stack screwed on (I aggree that this gives
the best results). I took a small piece of wood and very lightly inserted
it as a kind of stop wedge between the hammer rail and the bottom of the
pinblock (after reassembling the action). Not enough pressure to push the
action downwards, just enough to keep the rail from moving. That did the
trick. So for some reason or another that rail is moveing. This only
happens in the lower middle section. Any other ideas ??? I will keep you
informed if I find out any thing

Thanks again for all the responses.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.F.  N.P.T.F.