Liability advice

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 23:26:14 EDT

In a message dated 9/04/1999 9:59:06 PM, bluefiddle@texoma.net writes:

<< "Last week I tuned a new customer`s Grand spinet
piano............................
so I raised it to standard pitch .............................A week later my
customer calls complaining of a terrible buzz throughout the piano, so back I
go to investigate. I found every single last rib had pulled away from the
soundboard on both ends.">>

Al;
 Firstly The instrument in question was a poor quality spinet to begin with
and even when brand new this manufacturer's pianos exhibited this propensity
of loose ribs.
 Secondly a 'normal pitch raise' is just that.... an absolutely 'normal'
affair and in no way effects the structural integrity of an instrument that
does not already have the problems inherently within.  If such were the case
no tuner in their right mind would ever do a pitch raise.  Broken strings are
not uncommon when doing a pitch raise but unglued ribs are a proposterous
notion when it is even suggested that a pitch raise would cause the problem.

 Thirdly as for.....
<<"she has spoken with another tech.-qualifications unknown- who told her
that before any pitch raise the customer should be warned of the irreparable
structural damage that can occur during a pitch raise.">>

 This 'unnamed' tech is so full of balderdash that it does not even deserve a
response.  Your customer, in my opinion, is trying to find someone to blame a
bad purchase decision on rather than accept the fact that they made a bad
decision and a poor purchase.

 Al, I agree with Don, the cost of the pitch raise and the tuning probably
exceeded the value of this instrument.  Don't worry about it. You did nothing
wrong and even though this instrument may have served someone once, at some
level of usability, it has always been on the edge of credibility as a
'piano'.
My opinion.
 Jim Bryant (FL)