Liability advice

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:14:02 -0400

The following is not legal advise.  It is advise based on experience.

In dealing with the public, you will find that about one in ten =
customers is totally unreasonable/irrational/uninformed.  The good news =
is that another one out of that ten will believe anything you say and =
gladly pay in advance for the advice.  The rest are somewhere in =
between.

You have encontered one of the unreasonable/irrational/uninformed kind.  =
Your best approach (if you intend to stay in business) is to clearly =
explain your position one time, and then put the customer out of your =
mind until they make a subsequently reasonable request or until you hear =
from their lawyer.  Otherwise they will drive you crazy.  Your position =
should be that they bought a piece of junk and you did nothing to make =
it worse.  Don't worry that they will sully your reputation if you don't =
give them what they want.  The damage is already done on that point, and =
attempting to placate them won't make it any better.  On the bright =
side, they're probably the kind of people no one gives much credibility =
to anyway and they are almost certainly too cheap to hire a lawyer.

You did nothing wrong, and you owe them nothing more than the courtesy =
you would show any other customer.  If you feel like being chatty, you =
might point out that they should go after the church that sold them this =
piece of junk.

Frank Weston

P.S.  If they hassle you any more, offer to buy the piano for what it's =
worth.  Then they'll owe you money.