Re Tuning pin leveling and ratchet capstan adjuster

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:39:31 +1000

G'day Brian,

Tuning pin leveling can be done with a stick gauge which rests on the plate
and has a notch cut out for the pin to sit in. However, if the back row of
pins need to be higher than the front ones (to ensure that the strings
remain parallel to the plate) it may not work as well.

I usually make sure all the coils have been lifted and tapped down with a
coils setter (so that the becket hole is half covered and the coils are neat
and tight) I usually then chip the piano to pitch (accuracy unimportant, I
am primarily looking for tension on the coils and lift any stragglers....I
hate droopy bottoms....on the coils that is!

Then set the back row of pins so that the string runs parallel to the plate,
then I set the forward rows of pins so that all the strings line up forming
a flat plane parallel to the plate.

The tuning pins should all form a consistent plane and the string's angle of
incidence to the front duplex will also be consistent. Usually the front
pins are higher than the back ones, but everything in between should be
inline.

I hope all this makes sense, I suppose I'm actually saying that I eyeball it
anyway, but use the string level instead of the top of the pin.....the coils
do have to be very, very good or it doesn't work, but then I am a Virgo and
therefore a selective perfectionist, this happens to be one of the things I
choose to be _really_ picky about (g)

BTW I'm with you on a capstan adjuster with a ratchet mechanism.....someone
please
design/invent one pleeeease!

Cheers
Mark Bolsius