Re Tuning pin leveling, Mark B.

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:31:28 -0400

G'day Mark,

Thanks for posting your 'method' on leveling tuning pins.  I've been using a
number of different things to assist me in leveling them, none of which have
much to do with the top of the tuning pin.  (Sound's a little strange, huh?)

I've been thinking about how to put this into words, but you did it.  I've
been trying to 'level out' the lengths of strings from the tuning pin to
wherever the next bearing point is, they're not all the same.  There are
indeed a number of 'dimensions' to work with.  When I start pounding, I'm
looking at the threads on the tuning pin. (The place where the threads stop
is pretty consistent with the pins I've been using.) Then as I pound deeper,
I start looking towards the distance between plate and bottom of coil. (It's
left too high on purpose, to be adjusted more precisely later.)  When the
straightening and lifting of coils, and an appropriate tension is on the
string, I'm looking first at the bottom of the coil, and then as I refine
further, towards the level of the string.  Like you said, once you have the
longest one pretty well set, lining up the rest to level with that string
isn't really too difficult.  I've never had a problem with the tuning pins
being level if the coils are consistent, and the wire level is good.  It
sort of happens automatically.  (But just try and put it into words.??  I'm
leaving out many details here...)

I'm a Virgo too!  Perhaps that explains a few things.?  Are all Virgos
selective perfectionists with a penchant for pickiness? <g>

I enjoy your posts, Mark.

Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Brian Trout  (One of the other Brians :-) )
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net