Liability advice

Al & Jody Williams bluefiddle@texoma.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:10:16 -0500

Thanks to everyone for the response. At least now it`s not my word =
against some un-named tech.I`ve been off the list for quite a while due =
to my work load. I forgot how specific one should be. I presented a =
thumbnail sketch of the situation to keep the post from being too long =
and to keep from introducing bias to the responses. With all new =
customers I discuss pitch raising in general, possibility of broken =
strings, condition and quality of the piano, action, hammers ect. ect.. =
However, never,never,never, has it entered into my  mind to caution =
against rib seperation in connection with a 15 cent or for that matter, =
any percent pitch raise.  Thanks again and get the heck away from those =
computers, It`s Labor Day weekend. Al Williams
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Richard Brekne <richardb@c2i.net>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Sunday, September 05, 1999 6:25 AM
    Subject: Re: Liability advice
   =20
    kam544@flash.net wrote:=20

        > ...Since I did not give her fair warning as to what  could =
happen,  she=20
        >feels that I am liable for the damage to her piano`s  ribs. Her =
thinking=20
        >is  that it worked fine before I tuned it and now it is  broke. =
So what do=20
        >you all think?...Thanks, Al Williams.=20
        Dear Al,=20

        Here's what I think.=20

        Customarily, 'fair warning' is definitely in order for any piano =
that has=20
        been neglected that long, and especially one that you have no =
previous=20
        knowledge concerning it condition.  Som regardless of the =
condition of the=20
        piano before you arrived, the ball has the appearance of falling =
into your=20
        court due to the omission of that one verbal oversight.  And =
indicating=20
        that you have been an RPT for 19 years does little to strengthen =
what=20
        should be customary procedure by now.=20

        Why not secure the ribs back to the soundboard to eliminate the =
buzzing,=20
        admit to the customer of your failure to mention firsthand that =
anything=20
        could happen, an error on your part at the most, and express =
sincere=20
        appreciation for them having the courage to contact you, thereby =
allowing=20
        you the opportunity to make things right.

   =20
    Er.... DANGER....=20
     =20
     =20

    My two bits.... First of all, it is perhaps a good idea when tuning =
a piano of dubious condition and make, to advise the customer that =
strings may break, a few problems may pop up, etc. The idea that tuning =
an older piano up to pitch can cause major structual damage is =
ludicrious. Any "reaction" to tuning from the piano, as you describe =
above is due to some major weakness in structure previous to the tuning. =
Under no conditions, are you responsible for this kind of damage.=20

    As far as what the other tech said or did not say, remember you have =
it second hand, from the customer herself who is understandably =
motivated to be a bit prejudicial in her assesment of the situation and =
advise she recieves.=20

    Do not, in this case offer to fix the piano or in any way admit =
guilt in this regard, this is a almost guarranteed can of worms.. If you =
start fixing ribs on top of that you could very easily end up in a real =
big hole full of them. grin.=20

    (Sorry to dissagree so adamantly Keith. I have been down that road, =
and seen others go there. There is a time and a place for a positivistic =
approach, and this is more then likely neither. )=20

    Be firm, polite and dont budge an inch in regards to your customer. =
Be patient with them as well as they (in all ignorance) are =
understandably upset and suspicious. Be also aware that your membership =
in the PTG entitles you to some degree of legal support (correct me if I =
am wrong, as in expert opinions and documentation of facts) in the case =
you get into court.=20
     =20

    Richard Brekne=20
    I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.=20