Liability advice

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:57:08 -0700

Al,

The customer is understandably upset at having the piano tuned and then
discovering that it is unusable.  Furthermore, he or she has no way of
knowing what to expect of either pianos or technicians.  Your idea of
soliciting opinions and presenting them to the customer is a good one.
In addition, I would present the closest thing to a PTG position on the
question, which is the PTG Technical Bulletin #1 on Pitch Raising
published by the home office.  I always carry all six bulletins with me
in a folder and hand them to my customer to read whenever any of them
applies.

In this case the Bulletin cautions the customer on the possibility of
broken strings, depending upon the condition of the piano, but never of
failing rib joints.  The problem is so unforseeable that it is not even
mentioned.  If the customer wishes to pay for a complete inspection
(preferably before buying), it is reasonable to expect the problem to be
detected.  Furthermore, if the ribs were already buzzing when you
started your tuning, I agree that it is reasonable to expect you to
report it.  But the situation which you describe, where the added
tension on the piano was enough to cause the already fragile rib joints
to come apart, is so rare and unusual that it can only be described as
bad luck.

As for the other technician, you are getting your customer's
interpretation of what the person said.  He or she may have merely
expressed the same incredulity that any of us has for such an unusual
occurance.  He or she may have said something like, " I guess it's
possible...but that's very unusual..."  It is, however, always
appropriate for the customer to compare credentials.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA