Plate Screws !!

Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:18:57 -0500

At 10:19 9/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>> It just seemed odd to me that there were
>>'no' screws loose out of that number................

Quarter to a half of a thought here:
Is there a possible correlation between high number of plate screws and
dearth of loose screws?

_If_ loosening of screws is due to constant movement of wood due to
humidity fluctuations, and coefficient of expansion is lineal, then placing
them closer together (and thereby necessitating a greater number) would
lessen the dimension excursions seen by individual screws and thus also the
tendency _to_ loosen.

The comparison to hanging drywall came to mind (and eyes, and nose, and
throat) lately.  I could hold a sheet to the ceiling with 6 or eight nails,
but if I didn't(don't) want it to tear itself down real soon, I'd better
put those nails every 6-8" around perimeter and along each rafter.

Maybe, like Ron N. says, it is overkill.  But.....  I haven't had any
popped nails on my walls.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"Too many people are ready to carry the stool when the piano needs to be
moved." - Anonymous