Plate Screws !!

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:44:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/06/1999 2:33:26 PM, baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< The Steinway I that I'm working on has a
very solid cut off bar in the lower treble end, plus the cut off section is
filled with 2" thick hardwood. The whole back assembly is the most solid
that I've seen on a vertical. Laminated oak vertical beams (3ply). >>

Roger;
Yep, this one also. After your post, out of curiosity, I measured for square
inches of active board and cut off sections..............
Total area of possible space usable for the  board is 2,413 Sq Inches. Of
this possible total there is 310.75 sq inches taken away by the cutoffs
leaving a total active area for the board of 2,102.25 sq inches.....so almost
13% of the total possible area for board use is taken up by non-speaking
cutoffs!
(distributed 93.75 in the top left hand corner and 217 in the bottom right
hand corner.)
 This little thingee sounded really good before I started working so it
certainly is a good advertisement for judicious use of board limiting designs
:-)

  And Ron,
<<"How does the bass sound?">>
Kinda flat right now :-)........it sounded rerally gooder before I took the
strings off...actually it is the reason I decided to rebuild this thingee
rather than just repair/refurbish it, a good sounding bass that is.
<<"is the bridge on a cantilever?">>
Yep, 3 inch offset straight bridge.

<<" Did they, perchance, float the bottom of the soundboard?">>
Nope.

<<" Check and see if the back side of the soundboard liner is
attached to anything in that area."
Yep, 3 inch piece of oak with 6 screws in the board in between the 7 plate
bolts that go in that area :-)

Jim Bryant (FL)